Saturday, May 29, 2010

Made it to Cairo







So we rolled into to Cairo on Monday morning and got taken to the hotel. We had a little while to get settled so most of the folks went to shower or nap but I made my way to the pool and fitness center for a little sun and pool time after a late breakfast. After everyone had gotten settled and cleaned up we met and headed out into Cairo. Our first stop was the papyrus factory where I picked up a couple of pieces of Egyptian art.
The next stop was the Bazaar and that was an adventure. The tour guide told us we would only have 1 hour and 15 minutes to shop and you know that wasn’t enough time for anyone. So off I went with my battle buddy and we managed pretty well but ended up separated at one point halfway through the shopping. The salesmanship of the vendors is pretty good and I’m sure they’re used to hooking the tourists….. I enjoyed the haggling experience and spent too much but I had fun in the process of bargaining.
So evidently when you have bags demonstrating you are a purchaser the intensity of the sales pitches picks up. My second vendor even went as far as to walk me to his friend who had even “more special” stuff. I know I overpaid but it was a fun experience to do the shopping with the vendors who were just trying to make a living so it was worth paying too much for some souvenirs.
So the tour guide says 1 hour 15 minutes and you know that I’m pushing that to the last minute…. Big mistake! So I find the minaret of the Mosque and head back toward the bus where we’re supposed to be meeting. Of course in the process, I was getting molested all the way by vendors trying to make that sale before a customer escapes. Well I look at the bus and it starts pulling away… Please don’t ask what words got mouthed and I hope nobody could read my lips…. I did manage to catch them before they left.
The Security detail saw me and stopped the bus however it turns out the guides didn’t bother to do a head count. Needless to say head counts started after that. My roommate did note my absence and he told me that bus wasn’t leaving the area without me on it… Thanks Battle Buddy… I’m glad someone was paying attention.
The time at the Bazaar/Market was rushed because we had a dinner cruise to get to in the evening. So back to the hotel, a quick change and back out the door to dinner. In addition to our security detail there was another one there since the Prime Minister of Kenya was having dinner right next to us. As far as the dinner was I have to rank it as good for dinner cruise food. It was a variety of dishes on a salad type of bar for the first course with vegetables, hummus, and different salads and then the basic chicken, veal or fish for dinner choices. Dessert was something like a spumoni ice cream.
So after the main course was served, the boat headed down the Nile for the cruise and some nice views of the city and other boats. During the cruise there was a Turkish male dancer who I think actually may have been a whirling dirbish. After that there were a couple of belly dancers so the entertainment lasted until the boat returned. So after dinner we returned to the hotel which is a nice 5 star Marriott which the main part used to be a palace. Hit a couple of the shops and then the health club before racking out. I’m sure that the next day will come all too early at 0600.
To sum it up, I love Cairo and could actually see myself living here. The food is great, the weather is great and apart from the language barrier I can’t find much that I don’t like. The language barrier isn’t too terribly bad here in Cairo however since it’s such a tourist spot and they’re glad to take my American money or any other currency for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment