Saturday, January 30, 2010

Friday was another day at the range. Got to shoot once without all the battle rattle on and then the rest of the day was in full gear down in the sand pit. It was cold out but the upside of the day was that we got a bag lunch that was actually prepared instead of those ready to eat meals that are about 3,500 calories if you eat everything in the bag. I made the big mistake of adjusting my battle rattle so I could shoot easier and paid for it the rest of the day. The adjustment made that 50 pounds of gear just hang on my shoulders so my whole body hurts today and it did not do my knees any favors either. Needless to say, as soon as I got back from the range on Friday night that vest got tightened right back up.



Saturday we had a late muster at 7:00; we were told that if we wanted breakfast it was optional but we had to go in our time slot between 5:00 and 5:30; I didn't make it to breakfast. So after tramping through the rain to muster we got sent right back to the barracks to wait until 8:30 for the next muster and then some classes. It was not a happy group but the class we had was interesting. We had an Army CADRE member, who was originally from Egypt, teach a class on cultural issues in Muslim/Islamic areas where we are going. Today covered Afghanistan and Iraq and some Saudi Arabia and next week they'll do a short class on Djibouti, Africa. There are alot of cultural issues we normally wouldn't think of so most of the class found it interesting.

After class we got turned loose for the day and have much of Sunday free. Since we all needed some supplies we had a chance to head to the PX over on Ft. Jackson. In order to keep on the bus schedule we had to decide to get our shopping done in 30 minutes or stay there close to three hours, the 30 minute option won. I picked up a decent pillow and another blanket since I've been freezing. There's some crazy computer controlled thermostat here that decides the A/c should come on some nights even though it's only 30 degrees or less outside.

After the PX we came back to the barracks and a few of us scrubbed the bathroom areas and swept and mopped and did general housekeeping. It gets a little rough after being here a week with about 60 guys sharing one bathroom and laundry area. So I had my regular weekend of scouring toilets and mopping, bleaching and changing the sheets. Choosing to do the housework brought some normal routine back to my life.

It has gotten a little nasty out with the freezing rain and all. It did look nice on the way to Ft. Jackson with all the ice on the pine trees. I always tell everyone I love being on the military bases since they're clean and maintained. Ft Jackson almost looks like a nice gated community, which in essence it is I suppose. Everyone on the inside believes in what they're doing and take pride in where they are and what they're a part of generally.

Since the weather was bad and we were back on Camp McCrady it was just practical to stay on base tonight. We went over to the DFAC and had dinner which actually was not bad.... perhaps I've been institutionalized too long since I just referred to instant mashed potatoes as being good. Of course I had worked up an appetite from an afternoon of scrubbing toilets and mopping. After a quick stop at the shoppette and scavenging for toilet paper (Supply never provides enough for 60 guys) we headed back to our clean barracks.

It was an evening of hanging out, a group watching a movie on a laptop screen and general conversation. There is no television here and the Internet connection is not good so streaming video is hardly an option. It's kind of like being back in the fraternity house again which is not a bad thing. I've gotten a better attitude since the first couple of days and the folks in my company make the experience not only bearable but enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment