Thursday, January 28, 2010

Great day in Ft. Jackson,,, storms rolling in this weekend though
















Well I got up at 4:30 again and mustered outside at 5:00 in the cold. Loaded up in the school buses and went out to the shooting range. It's great when someone who has never handled weapons generally speaking is given an M-16 rifle and an M-9 pistol for qualification purposes with no live fire practice. I actually did reasonably well and am pretty sure I've passed all my qualifications so far.
I had to get dressed in my regular camo uniform but with all the extras. You know I never could figure out why anyone would need all those cargo pants pockets until now... they're all full. In addition to my uniform I have the 70 pounds of extra flack jacket. kevlar helmet, a rifle, a pistol, five ammunition magazines, a regular hat, a toboggan hat, a neck scarf, my camera, three granola bars just in case, two pairs of gloves, glasses, extra glasses, a multi purpose tool, a first aid kit, a camelback water canteen, elbow and knee pads and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else...... I was in that the good part of the day and had to shoot in all of that mess.
I think I've turned into an animal though. I've been wearing the same thing for a week now, I don't shower in the morning since there's not time or enough showers, I eat three meals a day where my entire company has to get through a line seated and out within 30 minutes.... it usually gives me about five to ten minutes to eat so it's neither polite nor pretty to watch I'm sure.
The upside is that Wednesday and Thursday were great days and I actually enjoyed it. I'm having fun with all of these folks here in the same boat and it's kind of like being back in a fraternity house to some extent. More shooting tomorrow. Today was a long day and tomorrow probably will be too in an effort to get things done before the weather rolls in. I also have to give credit to the Army folks doing the training here. They're great and flexible covering alot of material in a little amount of time.

1 comment:

  1. it may snow there this weekend.. watch out for white death

    ReplyDelete