Friday, February 19, 2010

Arrived in Djibouti

So I'm in Djibouti. Arrived at 4:30 in the morning and it was a pretty ugly place. I suppose the few posted pics online made it look nicer than it really is. On the upside, It's 8:00 at night with a great breeze and in the low 70's probably. In a word the daytime weather was HOT and very sunny. Good thing I packed a couple of pairs of sunglasses. The camp is over capacity and luckily I got a shared living container temporarily. Due to who I'm replacing hopefully I'll get a new permanent living assignment of my own where I just share a bath with one other officer. I think it will probably be a long year in this environment. The internet is VERY slow and my magic jack probably won't work during peak hours for sure.

The only nice looking green spot with flowerson base is the sewage treatment plant,,,, the flowers look nice but you can imagine the odor. I haven't experienced the burning trash and dead animals yet but I understand it's not pleasant. I haven't gotten my travel dates yet for Europe but I suspect I'll enjoy the break. Food is pretty decent here and there appears to be plenty of it available. My pants are still snug so I have begun avoidance of the sweets. Saturday is only a half day of work and Sundays are off. So I have to go get weighed in at 1:00 tomorrow and then off to the office at 2:00 for a meeting. I'm not sure low late the afternoon work schedule will be. I'm really hoping for that new living assignment quickly so I can set settled and try to regain some normalcy, including not having to get dressed to go to the bathroom which is about six unit away outside. Base rules restrict going outside in towels or robes and without shirts,,, Don't ask me to explain that one.

I'll try to update this with some pics of what I can over the next few days.

My address is:

LTJG David Rassenfoss, USN
PSC 831 N4
FPO, AE 09363-9998

No comments:

Post a Comment