Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday trip to Lake Assal and Djibouti's Grand Canyon
















So this being my first weekend on Camp and I had the opportunity to travel to some local sights in Djibouti outside the city. MWR was running a trip and my staff was going as well so they offered to let me tag along to see Lake Assal and Djibouti's Grand Canyon. Lake Assal is a salt lake and also the lowest point on the continent of Africa (515 feet below sea level). The white in that picture is not sand or snow like I left behind in Norfolk, it is crystalized salt. Lake Assal is also the saltiest body of water in the world with the exception of places in Antarctica. Swimming in the lake was a great experience, great warm temperature, even in February. It is so salty you can barely manage to stand upright after floating. The only downside is once you get out all of the sudden you fid yourself caked with dried salt crystals all over yourself. I also found myself a little over-exposed to the sun and should have used some sunscreen.

On the way to the lake we stopped at the Djibouti's Grand Canyon. The landscape here is covered with volcanic rock scattered everywhere, it somewhat reminded me of Maui's dry side of the island in spots.

4 comments: