Thursday, February 4, 2010

More time shooting..... got pistol qualification today







So the day started at 3:30 for us today. We made it into bed early enough last night but then there was the nightmare that had one of our folks screaming in the middle of the night.... needless to say that disturbed the little bit of sleep we got. We ended up outside at 4:15 for a 4:30 muster and then were rolling by 4:45 to the range for low light pistol shooting. Well, it was freezing this morning and I ended up in the third firing order which meant I was standing outside waiting my turn to shoot. It wasn't bad shooting but the weather was brutal and it was impossible to keep the hands and feet warm. I ended up skipping breakfast and just going to the warming room to try to thaw out.






From there we went to the large weapons area and shot the 50cal and machine guns. That was a good time but again..... cold. Back on to the buses and off to another range to do some reflexive shooting with rifles and then back to the range where we started out the morning. The lunch today was MREs again and mine had cheese tortellini and mashed potatoes; not sure who came up with that combination but I just ate the fig bar out of it. We did some stress shooting after that with the rifle which consisted of getting out of a hummer, no easy task in body armor by the way, and running to a course of various shooting stations while there was some yelling by the Drill Sergeants. That was the end of the training day in full gear for about 11 hours and I was tired after that.






While observing the long cold day one of my shipmates asked me if I would prefer to be at my civilian job which immediately brought things back into perspective. Of course my attitude improved with that thought and the training day was over for the most part. Tomorrow we get to sleep in and don't muster until 6:20 which is a late day!

2 comments:

  1. looks like you had fun playing with guns.... so what did you blow up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried to blow up some old tanks and whatnot. It was a pretty large range considering the distance the weapons can fire.

    ReplyDelete