Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cold and rainy Tuesday

So today started at 4:15ish rolling out of the rack and getting on all of the gear. We even added the gas mask today for some reason even though we never used the thing. We had a 5:15 muster then off to breakfast and back to the classroom. My battalion was taking a convoy out to the target range instead of the buses.

Well it was starting to drizzle as we loaded up in the humvees; five per vehicle and one of us had to be up in the turret. That was all fine and good and I started out in the back of the vehicle and we alternated positions all the way out. Well all the convoy exercises were fine and I didn't mind driving although the diesel vehicle was no luxury import, but then I made my way out to the turret with my rifle.

The rain was coming down so it felt like needles in my face. Had it been a nice sunny day the ride in the turret would have been ideal but no such luck for me. CDR Hasen (Trish) was driving as we came upon a huge muddy water puddle and she floored it as we approached. Most of the puddle ended up on me and the rest on the windshield to the point they could hardly see out. They were all amused and I was a good sport but not as amused since now I was soaked (and dirty). We did a drive through the course we will convoy next week as a group exercise and then headed toward the range.

Of course everyone had been started or rostered so we were last on the roster. We received some other instruction while waiting and finally we were called. Well the surprise we got was that we were given eight magazines of ammo to do all of our shooting exercises at once. Let me tell you, face down on wet red clay in body armour is not where you want to be. The other groups did four magazines, broke off then came back later. It was nice to get it done all at once but a little tiring and the break would have been nice.

Our battalion was released for the day after that and we came back and tried to clean up or gear as best we could so we can probably mess it up again tomorrow. Gear cleaning was followed by a long hot shower that was supposed to help my old sore back,,,, it didn't help much but at least I was clean again.

Stay tuned for more...

No comments:

Post a Comment