Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday


We had a good day today. Breakfast was optional so I took the option to sleep in since we didn't have to muster until 6:20 this morning. We had some early class instruction time with one of our drill Sergeants who as you would expect is pretty matter of fact which is actually a good thing. We also got our assignments for our convoy next week; it seems that I'm now a gunner. For this job I'll be sticking up out of the top of the humvee having to be observant. I'm not sure why you'd stick someone up there who can barely pay attention when they're driving but that's my assignment so I'll execute it as well as I can for the benefit of my team.... and I get a machine gun to shoot most likely so that's a good thing.

After lectures we loaded up on our buses and headed down to the Electronic range simulators for training for night shooting and other training scenarios. It was pretty interesting and I ended up having a pretty successful day. For the training scenarios I actually received praise for breaking the chain of mishaps from earlier groups by executing my mission and keeping my group from getting blown up; it took putting a bullet in someones head but that was the job at hand and in the scenario it was what was necessary to save my team. The instructor said he had to blow everyone else up that day for not eliminating the threat who had a bomb. I was disappointed not to have more time in the trainer today with those scenarios even though that's probably not what I'll be doing where I'm headed.

We went back to the classroom after the simulator training and lunch outside in the cold and rain for more instruction. We received training on tactics and devices used by the enemy. the excitement tonight was going to the base PX at Fort Jackson with a battle buddy. I got a haircut and had a Philly cheesesteak from Charlie's..... I actually felt like a real person again for a little while. We'll probably head back tomorrow to buy bugout bags to have for good backpacks for traveling while we're on leave overseas. On the planner this weekend is the class I have to finish in the next five days which is hard considering the Internet connections here and some housekeeping that needs to be done in the barracks and maybe the Superbowl party on base here this Sunday; we'll have to see how that goes and if the place is packed or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment